Mussels are a favorite but not often freshly available in our region. When they are, we use an old recipe learned from our time living on the East Coast.
- 1 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/8 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/8 Cup White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Shallots
- 1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Parsley
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 4 Pounds Medium Sized Mussels
- 4 Tablespoons Cold Butter
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley to sprinkle on when serving
- Put all ingredients an a large steaming pot.
- bring to slight boils and add the mussels.
- Cover pot.
- Mussels are done when the open.
- Be sure to drizzle broth over the mussels (each shell should contain some broth) when serving and sprinkle fresh chopped parsley on top.
- Include broth on serving plate or bowl.
- Serve with fresh crusty bread (delicious with broth).