People often ask how to make an easy but very flavorful pot roast. After evaluating everything from the many Mississippi pot roast recipes and experimenting over the years with old time pot roast recipes found in local cookbooks, we came up with one that is pretty darn hard to beat.
We use off the shelf package mixes you can find in almost any grocery store, several of our own fresh ingredients, and the Insta-pot to make a quick delicious pot roast in less than 2 hours.
Few recipes are easier or more perfect and delicious comfort food.
- 3 Sliced Yellow Onions
- 1/2 of a Sliced Red Bell Pepper
- 1/4 Cup AP Flour
- 2 1/2 Pounds of Beef Chuck Roast
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1.2 Ounce Package of Dry Beef Gravy Mix
- 1 Ounce Package Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 0.7 Ounce Package Dry Italian Salad Dressing Mix
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Chili Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Catsup
- 1/2 Cup Beef Broth
- 3 Peeled Halved Carrots
- 8 Quartered Potatoes
- 1 Chopped Jalapeno Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- Spread butter on the bottom of your slow cooker or Insta-pot.
- Lay the onion and pepper slices on the bottom.
- Sprinkle the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Place the chuck roast on the refrigerator for 1 hour uncovered.
- Roll the roast in the flour.
- Brown the roast in a skillet.
- Place the browned roast on top of the onions and peppers.
- Put carrots and potatoes around the roast.
- Whisk together all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the roast.
- Cook in the Insta-pot for 65 minutes on high pressure, or if using a slow cooker, on low for 8 hours.