Granddaughter Josie just asked me for this recipe, and I realized it wasn’t yet on our food blog, so here it is.
We always wondered why so many people miss the opportunity to infuse flavor into pizza dough. They often simply taste like simple crunchy white bread, while the really great pizza places always have a crust that contains tasty enough ingredients to stand alone as a snack.
This is the best pizza dough recipe we have come up with. The recipe is designed for simple home use and a bread machine dough cycle, though the same recipe could be used with other mixing methods.
1 Cup of Water
1/3 Cup of Flat Beer
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Teaspoons White Sugar
1 Teaspoon Honey
1 1/4 Teaspoons of Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons Cornmeal
3 1/2 Cups AP Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Basil
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
1 1//2 Teaspoons Yeast
- Add ingredients to a bread machine in the order listed.
- Set the machine to “Dough” mode and let the machine run through its cycle.
- Grease a bowl with some olive oil for the dough.
- Remove the dough from the bread machine, put it in the greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Put cornmeal on a surface for rolling out the dough.
- Put flour on your hands and pick up the dough.
- Split the dough in half (you should get 2 large pies out of the dough).
- Place dough on the cornmeal surface and roll it out with a rolling pin.
- Spread the top of the dough with some olive oil or olive oil spray, right up to the crust edge.
- Add sauce and toppings.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake until done, approximately 20 minutes depending on the thickness of toppings and oven variation.