We often want a white sauce option when we have Italian dinners. This desire eventually forced us to put together a recipe that compliments our traditional lasagna or spaghetti recipes.
1 Pound Ziti Pasta
1 Pound Sweet Italian Sausage
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Fresh Sage
1/2 Chopped Yellow Onion
1 Cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
2 and 1/4 Cups Heavy Cream
1 Cup Shredded Low Moisture Mozzarella Cheese
1 Tablespoon Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 9 by 13 pan that’s at least 2 1/2 inches deep.
- Combine Parmesan and bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and then add ziti pasta.
- Cook the sausage in a very large skillet will a little olive oil, until brown.
- Drain sausage and set aside.
- In the same skillet add another tablespoon of olive oil and then add onions, nutmeg and sage.
- When onions are translucent, turn off the heat and add 2 cups of cream.
- When the pasta is al dente, strain it and add it to the pan of cream, reserving 1/4 cup of pasta water.
- Add the pasta water to the pan, and stir all to combine.
- Then place all the pan ingredients into the buttered or greased baking dish.
- Top this with the shredded mozzarella, and then the parmesan and bread crumb mixture.
- Pour the final 1/4 cup of cream on top and then bake uncovered for 25 minutes.