This has become our favorite sweet sauce for all smoked meats. It also works great with our meatballs and chicken wings as appetizers.
We developed this by experimenting with many of the soda based recipes, knowing that the addition of a good bourbon would intensify the flavor in the sauce.
1/2 Cup Bourbon
1 Chopped Yellow Onion
1 Chopped Jalapeno Pepper
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 6 Ounces of your favorite Sweet Soda (We like Dr. Pepper)
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Cups Ketchup
1 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and pepper with the oil, until the onion is transparent.
- Add the bourbon and reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the soda, Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar.
- Cook at medium heat until until it just begins to boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, salt, chili powder, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Bring back to a slow boil and then immediately lower the heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer the sauce very low for 2 to 4 hours. The longer it simmers the thicker it will will become.