This is our favorite coleslaw recipe, and so much better than most pre-made dressings available in stores. It has a nice blend of spicy jalapeno peppers, sweet sugar, and acid from the vinegar and lemon.
It is a perfect side dish with smoked meats in particular, and goes on top of pulled pork to form a perfect pulled pork sandwich. (Something we never understood until eating pulled pork sandwiches this way in Kentucky!)
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise (Dukes is best)
- 1/2 Cup Fine White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1/3 Cup Buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons White Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Seasoned Salt (Mortons)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Celery Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1 Finely Chopped Jalapeno Pepper
- 1 14 Ounce Package of Cole Slaw mixture (Doles, or make your own desired mixture.)
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, less the slaw itself.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator and add the 16 ounce package of coleslaw mix, sold in the salad section of most grocery stores, to the bowl.
- Put everything in a closed container and keep it in the refrigerator until it is served.